Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ready to Freeze my Buns

A little late to the game, I took up the Freeze Yer Buns challenge from Crunchy Chicken. My goal is to keep the thermostat set to 50 degrees during the day when were not here and 60ish after we get home. Compared to 50 that'll be down right toasty. After everyone is in bed I'll back it down again. It should motivate us to get ready in a hurry in the mornings.

In preparation for the cold weather, we have sealed all our windows with plastic sheeting (that I plan to reuse), and had the electric company come out and do a ***free*** evaluation of how we can be more efficient. I also purchased some fingerless gloves (so I can keep typing) and found some great throw blankets at Goodwill. When I was a kid, my dad had these stones he would set on the wood stove until just before bed. He wrapped them in old towels and placed them at the foot of our beds and they kept us warm all night. I don't have a wood stove so I made some rice pouches out of scrap flannel from my fabric bin to warm the beds. Anymore tips would be appreciated.

Remember, if you want to take the challenge it's not too late! Save money and reduce the amount of CO2 added to the atmosphere.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am not participating in the challenge so to speak but I am trying to save money by keeping the thermostat off when we are not there and/or during the day and keeping the temp set to 60 when it is on at night. I like to sleep in cooler temps anyway!